- Admission Procedure”
Admission to Post-Graduate Courses in Mathematics leading to a Master’s Degree in Mathematics will be made through two modes:
Through an Entrance Test
50% seats shall be earmarked on the basis of merit list drawn in order of preference separately at North Delhi Campus, South Delhi Campus according to conditions in Mode-I in the eligibility condition. Separate applications are to be filled for different campuses.
50% seats for all the campuses shall be filled on the basis of merit in the common Entrance Examination scheduled to be held in June of every academic year through the system of centralized online registration at North Campus according to conditions in Mode-II (see eligibility conditions).
(i) For Purpose of Registration for M.A/M.Sc. Courses there will be the following two centers:
(a) North Delhi Campus (NDC), Room No. 01, New Academic Block, Faculty of Mathematical Sciences, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007.
(b) South Delhi Campus (SDC), Benito Juarez Road, New Delhi-110021.
(ii) Candidates desirous of seeking admission on the basis of merit under Mode-I (in NDC, SDC) to the above Post-graduate courses shall be required to register their names online as per the schedule prescribed for the purpose.
(iii) Admission at both the Campuses for Mode-I shall be made, independently from amongst the candidates registered online, in order of merit and upto the number of seats available in the Colleges falling within the jurisdiction.
Mode-II (Through Entrance Examination)
- Registration will be done online. The application form for Mode-II in the NDC/SDC and the syllabus for the examination can be downloaded from the website at http://maths.du.ac.in.
- The office of the Faculty of Mathematical Sciences (North Campus) will prepare admission list for students selected for admission in North Campus. The first admission list will be notified at the New Academic Block, Registration Centre in the third week of July Second and subsequent lists, if necessary, will be notified as early as possible, thereafter.
- Candidates desirous of seeking admission in SDC shall be required to see the admission list at the respective Registration Center.
Number of seats available
|Delhi University Category Wise Seats||No. of seats|
|Category||North Delhi Campus||South Delhi Campus||North Delhi Campus||South Delhi Campus|
- IMPORTANT DATES
|Online registration start||Last Week of April|
|Last date for submission of complete Application Form||Third Week of June|
|Date of Entrance Examination||First week of July|
|Date of Declaration of result of Entrance Test||Third week of July|
|Date of Admission List||Fourth week of July|
- Eligibility Requirements
ELIGIBLITY CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION TO M.A./M.Sc. COURSE IN MATHEMATICS
Mode-I: 50% seats in the M.A./M.Sc. Mathematics shall be filled on the basis of a merit list drawn in order of merit amongst candidates who have passed B.A. (Hons)/B.Sc. (Hons) Examination in Mathematics of Delhi University with at least 60% marks in aggregate.
(Candidates appearing in the final year Examination are eligible to apply subject to submission of their mark sheet by July 10).
Applicants should have graduated under 10+2+3 scheme or any Equivalent Scheme are eligible for applying admission.
Mode-II: The remaining 50% seats will be filled on the basis of merit in an entrance examination. Any candidate who has obtained bachelor degree in any subject and has studied 5 at least 3 courses each of one year duration or 6 courses each of one semester duration in Mathematics securing at least 50% marks in aggregate will be eligible to appear in entrance examination.
Any candidate appearing in the final year examination of Bachelor’s degree of the same calendar year shall also be eligible to appear in the entrance test, however, he/she will be considered for admission if he/she fulfils the other requirements of admission.
Note: If a student qualifies for admission through both Modes, he/she will be granted admission through Mode-I. If any seat remains vacant against direct admission category due to non-availability of eligible candidates, the same shall be transferred and filled through admission entrance test.
- Exam Pattern
The entrance examination shall be of three hours duration. The question paper shall be of 250 marks. The paper will consist of two parts. Part-I will be containing 50 Multiple Choice Questions having exactly one correct answer. For each correct answer 3 marks will be given and for an incorrect answer 1 marks will be deducted. Part-II will consist of 20 Multiple Choice Questions. Each question will have multiple correct answers and will carry 5 marks. 5 marks will be given only if all correct choices are marked. There will be no negative marking in this part.
UNIVERSITY OF DELHI DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
- Elementary set theory, Finite, countable and uncountable sets,
- Real number system as a complete ordered field, Archimedean property, supremum, infimum.
- Sequence and series, Covergence limsup, liminf. Bolzano Weierstrass theorem, Heine Borel theorem.
- Monotonic functions, Continuity, Types of discontinuity, Uniform continuity, Intermediate value theorem, Differentiability, Mean value theorem,
- Maclaurin’s theorem and series, Taylor’s series.
- Sequences and series of functions, Uniform convergence.
- Riemann sums and Riemann integral, Improper integrals.
- Functions of several variables,Directional derivative, Partial derivative.
- Metric spaces, Completeness, Total boundedness, Separability, Compactness, Connectedness.
- Divisibility in Z, congruences, Chinese remainder theorem, Euler’s φ- function.
- Groups, Subgroups, Cyclic groups, Class equations, Normal subgroups,
- Homomorphisms, Cayley’s theorem, Quotient groups,
- Sylow theorems.
- Rings,fields, Ideals, Prime and Maximal ideals,
- Quotient rings, Unique factorization domain,
- Principal ideal domain, Euclidean domain,
- Polynomial rings and irreducibility criteria.
Linear Algebra :
- Vector spaces, Subspaces, Linear dependence, Basis, Dimension,
- Algebra of linear transformations, Matrix representation of linear transformations, Change of basis,
- Inner product spaces, Orthonormal basis.
- Eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices, Cayley-Hamilton theorem.
- Existence and Uniqueness of solutions of initial value problems for first order ordinary differential equations,
- Singular solutions of first order ordinary differential equations,
- System of first order ordinary differential equations,
- General theory of homogeneous and non- homogeneous linear ordinary differential equations, Variation of parameters,
- Sturm Liouville boundary value problem, Green’s function.
Partial differential Equation:
- Lagrange and Charpit methods for solving first order PDEs,
- Cauchy problem for first order PDEs, Classification of second order PDEs,
- General solution of higher order PDEs with constant coefficients,
- Method of separation of variables for Laplace. Heat and Wave equation.
- Numerical solutions of algebraic equation,
- Method of iteration and Newton-Raphson method,
- Rate of convergence,
- Solution of systems of linear algebraic equations using Guass elimination and Guass-Seidel method,
- Finite differences, Lagrange, Hermite and Spline interpolation,
- Numerical integration,
- Numerical solutions of ODEs using Picard, Euler, modified Euler and second order Runge- Kutta methods.
- Upcoming Batches
M.Sc. Entrance Exam.
REGULAR CLASS ROOM:
This Batch is Regular Batch, there will be Weekly 6-days classes , 15 Lecture in each Week , every week 2 Question Discussion , 1 Performance Review Test and Performance Review Test discussion.
|IIT-JAM Regular /Weekend Batch for 2019|
|Registration and Application:||Open||Open||Open|
|TEST SERIES :||01-Dec-18||01-Dec-18||01-Jan-19|
|Exam Date:||2nd Week of Feb-19||2nd Week of Feb-19||2nd Week of Feb-19|
- Previous Year Papers
- Free Practice Test:
M.Sc. Entrance Exam is on its way. You have with plenty of study books, and Solved previous years papers, got all expert references. Still you might be confused to figure out what to study and what not! In such strenuous situations, you need to analysis your performance and wish to know about the important topics and questions that have higher weightage and are more likely to be asked in the exam.
M.Sc. Entrance Exam Mock Test Papers & Practice Sets fulfill all your requirements!
Click Here for: Online Test Series.